Unblock Camera/Mic access on a computer
Check both your browser and operating systems settings
When you click on your cam/mic buttons, do you see the unblock message above?
If so, this means that your camera/mic is blocked by (1) your browser or (2) Operating System. Learn how to fix this below!
To unblock your camera/mic follow these steps:
- Click the camera icon — in your browsers address bar, top right
- Make sure that "Always allow" is selected
- Click done
- Refresh your browser
Chrome users see this.
macOS users — check Systems Preferences
Apple introduced new security and privacy features with macOS Mojave. Learn how to enable camera/mic permissions under System Preferences.
macOS Mojave and later released a security setting that requires you to grant the operating system camera and microphone permissions, under System Preferences.
IMPORTANT: You must grant each browser camera/mic access.
Give camera and mic access
- Go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Camera.
- Click the box next to the browser you're using. It'll quit and reopen your browser.
- Do the same for Systems Preferences > Privacy > Microphone.
PLEASE check for Systems Updates! This Lifewire post is helpful.
Do you have a program that automatically opens at startup, which uses your camera?
- We have reproduced an issue where one popular program, when auto-starting, does not close cleanly. It still claims access to the camera even after it's closed.
- Turn off the program automatically opening at startup. Now reboot.
If you haven't already...REBOOT your computer. Your system needs to clear out any old issues.
Run the official Google test:
This is a page created by Google (not by us). If it can't see your camera and microphone, Google is saying something is wrong with your browser.
- Go to https://test.webrtc.org
- Click the green button
- Using an external cam/mic? Make sure it's selected in your Settings Click More > Cam/mac settings > Set your cam/mic as the Default
- Unblock camera/mic in your browser settings
- Unblock camera or mic on a mobile device
- Mac OS screen sharing - new privacy setting step
- Packet loss - it's different from a speed test